The two vehicles were an old station wagon and a retired mail truck. Both would be converted into ambulances to serve the community when they needed help. With the two necessary vehicles to get the job done, Lyndon State Rescue was formed.
The first vehicle was a mail van. They just had a group of student volunteers that operated out of the residence halls, and they became the campus rescue emergency services.
The original campus rescue squad may have started out with only an old converted station wagon and mail truck, but as the years went by this small service turned into Lyndon Rescue Inc. With the evolution of Lyndon Rescue, the vehicles they use have evolved as well.
Lyndon Rescue now has four ambulances equipped the advanced life support level. But the evolution into Lyndon Rescue did not come easily. The club that covered nine towns, over 279 miles and responded to almost 450 calls year, nearly disappeared in the early 90’s.
The stress of the high call volume prompted a change in 1996 to become a full time paid EMS Agency
After the dust settled the rescue squad was still alive, but had new life as Lyndon Rescue. The organization shifted from all volunteers to a corporation with several paid employees, who now have access to all the latest equipment.
Now Lyndon Rescue covers an area of 560 square miles and respond to over 1600 calls per year, Lyndon Rescue now covers 13 towns and is always standing by to come when it is needed.
From its roots 40 years ago as a campus club to a fully staffed professional organization, Lyndon Rescue has thrived and hopes to continue to serve as a vital tool to the community.
Information adapted from